Sunday, February 5, 2017

Weekly Reflection for Week of January 30th-February 3rd

Weekly Reflection for the Week of January 30th-February 3rd
Standards: [4.1]


How did you do on the work?
This week, we worked through vodcasts 4.1 and 4.2 at home. In class, we worked in groups to analyze DNA sequencing evidence and determine whether the fictional "Jeff M." was related to the H. family. We also completed packets that reinforced the lessons from the vodcasts. I feel that I did well on this work. The vodcast was long, so I broke it up over the course of several days. I understood everything I was taking notes on at the time, but I need to go over them again to put together what I learned on different days. Most of the WSQs I was able to complete either from memory or by looking at my notes, but I had to use other resources to answer some more difficult questions.
What do you think you understand well?
I think I understand the processes of DNA replication in a general sense. I credit this to advanced biology in my sophomore year.
Where do you think you could improve?
Although I understand everything we've learned this week, I don't remember all of the more specific details. I could benefit from studying the structure of all the participants in DNA replication more.
What strategies will you use to improve?
To improve, I could take more time to process my notes as I take them. Sometimes, especially with more extensive presentations, I tend to write as quickly as possible with the intention of coming back to them later for thorough processing. I think I would understand better and be more efficient if I took down notes and processed them fully simultaneously. In addition, consulting the textbook or the supplemental videos when I find something particularly confusing would help me to improve.
How does the work we are doing fit into the context/narrative of the course?
It seems that in this course, we began with broad concepts and have worked towards more specific ones. For instance, we learned about evolution and natural selection, which affects whole species and populations. Then we took a look at individual organism and what their cells were made up of with the Organelle Campaign. Now, we are going becoming even more focused and learning about the processes those organelles perform.



No comments:

Post a Comment