Sunday, March 26, 2017

Weekly Reflection for Week of March 20th-24th

How did you do on your work?
This week, we did a lot of work with probability and Chi-square analyses as they relate to Mendelian Genetics. Because I took AP Statistics last year, I already knew how to work with probability. I also remembered doing monohybrid crosses in Advanced Bio, but I had to be reminded how to set up dihybrid crosses, etc. so as to avoid huge Punnet squares. We also applied these problem-solving strategies to an activity about Sordaria. 

What do you think you understand well?
As I said, I understand the laws of probability from past experience. Now that I've reviewed it, I also understand well how to calculate the probabilities associated with different genes separately, and solve huge crosses fairly quickly. 

Where do you think you can improve?
I don't understand the "bigger picture" as well. For instance, I was a little confused during the Sordaria lab about what it was we were seeing. 

What strategies will you use to improve?
There was a lot of information attached to that activity, so I could go back and read it more carefully. If I encounter something I don't understand, I could look it up.

How does the work we are doing fit into the context/narrative of the course?
Really, everything we do comes back to DNA, which makes sense; it is arguably the most important molecule for life. In units past, we have learned about the structure and function of DNA, but now we are putting that knowledge to use. The predictable nature of DNA allows us to use probability to determine outcomes when it is passed on from parent to offspring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment