Thursday, April 20, 2017

Weekly Reflection for the Week of April 10th-14th

How did you do on your work?
This week was heart week <3 It was super fun to hold and cut open a deer heart, and I was proud of myself that I did not get grossed out! At the beginning of the week, we watched a documentary about hearts and the history of heart surgery to prepare for the lab. We then spent two days with the hearts and ended the week with an exam and a day to process. I felt prepared for the exam and think I did well on all the work this week. 

What do you think you understand well?
I understand the the structure and function of the heart pretty well. I also understand the topics covered in the beginning of the Information unit. 

Where do you think you can improve?
I could improve my understanding of the last topics covered in the unit: vodcasts 4.11 and 4.12. For instance, I understand operons in a broad sense, but a more detailed discussion of them would help me. 

What strategies will you use to improve?
I think referring to the textbook or youtube videos for more explanation would help me. Because work with the hearts took up most of the class time this week, there was not much time for group discussion of the information, but I think talking through my areas of confusion with classmates would definitely help as well.

How does the work we are doing fit into the context/narrative of the course?
Working with deer hearts was awesome, but it was also related to everything we have been learning about. Specifically, the processes of life we researched in the weeks before: circulation, gas exchange, nutrition, excretion. Most of these processes occur in the heart, so looking at real organs was a direct application of what we had learned. Looking at the four chambers, the arteries, and the veins, we saw how blood is circulated to the lungs to exchange CO2 for O2, and to the rest of the body to supply nutrients, which before we had only read about. I must say that, although diagramming the heart prepared me for the structure of the deer heart, it in no way prepared me for how bloody it actually was!

1 comment:

  1. You mean bloody awesome! :)

    Glad you found it worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete