Sunday, April 30, 2017

Weekly Reflection for Week of April 24th- 28th

How did you do on the work?
This week was a fairly low-key and self-guided preface to the AP exam weeks. We spent a lot of class time in the lab, working with our group to design, conduct, and write up a lab on transpiration-my group decided to test the effect of acid on the rate of transpiration. We plan to finish up our poster board and present it sometime next week. In addition to this, we learned a little about neurons, and for homework, we watched two Paul Anderson videos and answered the accompanying questions. I believe I did well on all of this work from the past week.

What do you think you understand well?
I understand the content from the Paul Anderson videos pretty well. A lot of the terms and concepts he discussed were familiar, such as population carrying capacity. Not only had I learned about that in Advanced Biology, I learned about in from a mathematical point of view earlier this year in Calculus.

Where do you think you could improve?
I could improve on my understanding of the process of transpiration. I know the general function of it, but I don't quite understand how the structure of the plant--xylem, phloem, etc.---relate to it. 
What strategies will you use to improve?
I faintly recall these topics being covered in the early unit 5 vodcasts. We didn't get a chance to disco those vodcasts, so I never really got my questions answered or got to discuss the material. I think reviewing those vodcasts and talking about it with classmates would help me reach a better understanding.  

How does the work we are doing fit into the context/narrative of the course?
By this point in the year, we've covered most of the material. I think briefly studying ecology is a good way to remind us of the "bigger picture" and tie everything together. It's easy to forget--when learning about the molecular structure of DNA or the enzymes that mediate RNA translation, for example--that we are talking about life. Looking at how all that comes together to form not only organisms, but whole communities and ecosystems helps us understand our surroundings on a new level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment